What to look for in a good Border Collie muzzle
There are several qualities that go into determining the best dog muzzle for a Border Collie.
Since dog muzzles are important products concerning the safety of so many, you want to keep in mind the certain qualities that ensure a safe and beneficial dog muzzle for your Border Collie.
There are two main types of dog muzzles to look at:
- Basket muzzles
- Wrap-around muzzles
Basket muzzles are commonly known muzzles that completely cover the snout, whereas the wrap-around muzzle closes around the mouth, and does not cover the snout.
Whichever muzzle you choose for your Border Collie, you want to make sure they will have the chance to breathe since the product is breathable. Since the muzzle might be on your Border Collie for a long period of time, possibly covering the snout, it’s important to have a breathable product so your K9 can breathe.
Breathable products, such as mesh and baskets, are also allowing air to be circulated through the product which helps to reduce the chance of your Border Collie becoming overheated.
It is also important to look for strong, durable materials that are going to day to day force and will not break so easily.
Nylon, mesh, and metal are the most common materials used for dog muzzles, and are all strong and durable. They are essential in the muzzles to ensure the safety of others, and to keep your Border Collie from biting through the product.
With the basket muzzles, the muzzle will extend a little bit past the mouth so that your Border Collie will not be able to reach the basket with their teeth. The wrap-around muzzles will also not give your Collie the chance to bite through the product as well.
Being able to adjust the muzzle is another important factor in determining if the product should be used. Having a secure and comfortable fit is important, and you also want to make sure it does fall off while your Border Collie is wearing it.
Most dog muzzle are made with either a buckle or snap-on feature that makes putting the product on and taking it off easier. It is also important to choose a lightweight muzzle, especially if it’s metal, so that it doesn’t weigh your Border Collie down.
Measuring your Border Collie for a muzzle is also important in determining the right size, and it’s easier than you think.
The first thing you need to do is measure the circumference around their snout while your Collie is panting and the mouth is open. Next, measure the length of your Collie’s nose from the tip of their nose to the space between their eyes. Lastly, measure the height of your Collie’s snout from the tip of the nose while they are also panting.
Measuring the open mouth is important to see how much room your Border Collie will be able to have to pant comfortably while wearing the product.
You can also choose a muzzle for any size for your Collie, not matter what their age is. Using the same measuring instructions, your Collie can grow in the training tool, and it also allows you to keep the product in times of need.
It is also really important to remember that you need to break in your Border Collie gently to the muzzle.
Training them instead of using the product as a punishment tool is going to be important in ensuring the comfort with your Border Collie while using the muzzle.
It’s important, before you do use a muzzle with your Border Collie, to consult your dog’s veterinarian for a professional opinion to determine whether or not this is an appropriate option for use with your dog.
BEST DOG MUZZLES FOR BORDER COLLIES
Here are our review of top 5 muzzle for Border Collie
The Baskerville Ultra Dog Muzzle comes to the rescue when dogs are just a little too stressed or excited. This doggy muzzle has a flexible fit for wider noses and a small convenient opening so your pup can eat while it’s on. This muzzle does double duty by protecting other pets and people from bites while maintaining the welfare and happiness of your dog. It has ergonomically designed safety strapping and two additional points of secure attachment to ensure the muzzle stays doesn’t fall off. The over-head strap is completely removable if desired and the muzzle also has a loop at the bottom for your dog’s collar. Finally, the metal buckle has pre-holed webbing, which means it’s fully adjustable for a quick and easy fit.Key Benefits
- Soft and lightweight for a comfortable fit and has a treat-friendly design so you can feed your dog while he’s wearing his muzzle.
- Tough and durable malleable thermal plastic rubber provides protection and can even be heated with hot water and shaped for a customized fit.
- Great for behavior modification programs.
- Ergonomically designed safety strapping keeps the muzzle secure and features two points of attachment, a loop for your dog’s collar and a removable over-head safety strap.
- Fully adjustable head and neck straps with added comfort from neoprene padded lining.
Optional removable over-head safety strap.
Barkless Soft Basket Dog Muzzle offers all- around protection to dogs without irritating them, made of non-smell silicon, it is harmless and flexible basket make it easy to stretch and more comfortable to wear. Easy to breathe, drinking water and enjoy some treats.
This muzzle can attach to the collar to make sure it will always remain in place
- Flexible Silicone Basket: Tough & durable material, yet the material is soft on your dog
- All-Around Protection: The basket design gives an all-around cover of the dogs’ mouth, in that way the dogs can keep away from biting and barking or eating dirty foods. You can get rid of the annoyance that your dog chewing your leather seat in your car
- Safe & Secure Muzzle: The safety strapping ensures the muzzle will always remain securely in place and features two additional points of secure attachment. The secure loop attaches to your dogs regular collar, while the overhead strap connects directly to the rear strap. You will never worry about it falling off
- Breathable & Lightweight: it allows the dog to drink, eat and pant, meanwhile it is a lightweight, quick fitting muzzle
Goodboy Gentle Dog Muzzle is safe, comfortable dog muzzle prevents your pet from biting or eating things he shouldn’t WITHOUT restricting his ability to drink or pant. You can quickly and easily clip the muzzle to the collar to keep it from coming off.
- HUMANE WAY TO PREVENT BITING AND UNWANTED CHEWING – This muzzle is great for restraining your dog’s ability to bite, chew and bark while still allowing your dog to breathe, pant, and drink water. Because of that, this muzzle is a humane choice for preventing unwanted biting or chewing. See our images for examples.
- RIGHT SIZE FOR THE RIGHT DOG – Choosing the correct size online can be hard, so to make it easy for you we have provided a chart and measuring instructions (see Picture 3). Your dog’s muzzle can also be adjusted using the straps and hook and loop fastener for the best fit. If you have any trouble with finding the right size, we offer great customer support and will work hard to fix your problem.
- BONUS COLLAR AND CONNECTION STRAP HOLDS MUZZLE IN PLACE – GoodBoy’s Stay-Fit connection makes it a snap to keep your best buddy’s muzzle securely in place, even for the rowdy pups! Easily connect it to your dog’s collar or use the included bonus collar for added support.
- COMFORTABLE NEOPRENE PADDING ELIMINATES CHAFING – GoodBoy believes a muzzle should never be painful! Our soft neoprene padding keeps your pal’s snout healthy and happy by eliminating chafing and hot spots.
- QUALITY BUCKLES FOR A PERFECT FIT – No cheap plastic buckles for adjusting the fit here! The GoodBoy muzzle uses high-quality buckles for adjustments that won’t loosen over time, ensuring a comfortable fit for any dog. Any excess strap length can easily be secured with a hook and loop fastener to prevent loose ends as well.
The Lepark Durable Dog Muzzle is Made of durable, high-quality nylon that can stand up to daily use and is comfortable to wear for your Border Collie.
- Large Size – Snout strap 7-11.8 in, Neck strap 6.3-14 in.Suitable for normal size Dobermann,Collie,Pit Bull and so on.
Tough yet Soft: Made of a pliable Non-toxic rubber, This Basket Muzzle is extremely tough, durable, and soft to touch, and it can be widened or narrowed if needed.
- Tough yet Soft: Made of a pliable Non-toxic rubber, This Basket Muzzle is extremely tough, durable, and soft to touch, and it can be widened or narrowed if needed.
- Secure and Adjustable Fit: Adjustable neck strap & over-head strap allows you to adjust the muzzle to a right fit on your dog’s head tightly and securely.
- Breathable Hollow-out Design: Your dog can pant, drink and even be fed treats through the muzzle due to the wide holes of the basket muzzle. This design allows for maximum ventilation to prevent your dog from overheating, and make it possible for your dog to cool themselves.
- Soft and Comfortable: Rubber basket design gives all-around mouth protection, does not create any discomfort nor abrision on the dog’s mouth and nose part.
Why/When Should My Dog Wear A Muzzle?
To most people, muzzles provoke images of lunging and snarling aggressive dogs. It’s unfortunate and unfair that the stigma associated with a dog wearing a muzzle is that the dog must be dangerous. Personally when I see a dog wearing a properly fitted muzzle I feel reassured that their owner is being responsible and keeping their dog and the public safe. There are many reasons a dog may be wearing a muzzle: the dog may be recovering from a painful injury, the dog may get nervous around strange people or dogs or in some cities/states there are breed specific laws requiring it regardless of the dog’s history.
Start conditioning your dog to wearing a muzzle as early as possible. Maybe you have a dog that gets anxious at the vet. Training your dog to wear a muzzle can help lower the tension in the exam room for both the humans and your dog because no one is worrying about getting bit. Even the friendliest dog may bite when injured and in pain.
We never want to think about an emergency happening to our dog but it’s best to be prepared just in case. Part of preparing a doggy first aid kit is to have a properly fitted muzzle for your dog and to condition your dog to happily wearing it. Some dogs absolutely hate having their nails trimmed. Your groomer will thank you for bringing them a dog who will happily wear a muzzle while they groom your dog so they can keep all their fingers and toes.
If you have a dog who has shown any aggression towards people or dogs, now is the time to start conditioning the muzzle. Prevent a bite before it happens. A dog with a bite record is a serious thing and can spell disaster not only for you from a liability standpoint but also for your dog as they can be declared a dangerous dog which can have deadly consequences. Work with an experienced trainer to come up with a training plan in addition to your muzzle conditioning.
Using a muzzle can allow you to work on behavior modification with your dog. Whether the issue is human or dog aggression or fearful behavior, your first priority should be the safety of everyone involved.
1. Let him sniff the muzzle. Give a treat. Repeat a few times.
2. Touch his nose with the muzzle. Treat. Repeat until he indicates that the muzzle looks interesting in a good way.
3. Hold the muzzle with one hand and a treat with the other hand, so he needs to put his nose inside the muzzle to get the treat. Repeat until this step is no big deal.
4. Gently slip the muzzle onto his nose and give him a treat. Remove the muzzle immediately. Repeat a few times.
5. Put on the muzzle and fasten the buckle. Treat. Remove immediately. Repeat a few times.
6. Put on the muzzle, fasten it, and count slowly to five. Treat. Remove the muzzle.
7. Each time you put on the muzzle, gradually increase the time the muzzle is on. Hold his collar and give treats
If the dog isn’t interested in treats, you can substitute other rewards. I use verbal praise, but this is optional.