Best Dog Foods for Allergies
Just like people, dogs can suffer from allergies. Dogs can be allergic to fleas, dust, pollen, mold, grass and, yes, even the food we feed them.
Symptoms of an allergic reaction in dogs include:
- Scabs or rashes on the skin
- Chronic ear infections
- Red, inflamed skin
- Itching that leads to excessive scratching or biting at the skin, paws or ears
Below are our reviews of Top Ten picks of the best dog foods for allergies to help you and your dog find some much-needed relief.
Canine Caviar Limited Ingredient Diet Open Meadow Holistic Entrée All Life Stages Dry Dog Food is a complete and balanced formula intended for moderately active dogs, growing puppies, and breeding animals. It is ideal for dogs with sensitive digestive tracts. It is the most nutritious food your dog will ever need and is perfect for medium and large breed puppies. Beneficial nutrients aid in maintaining beautiful skin and coat in long haired dogs.Key Benefits
- Does not contain chemical preservatives, by-products, GMO, glutens, BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin
- Single protein and carbohydrate diets made with fresh dehydrated meat that is hormone, pesticide and antibiotic free
- Fermentation Culture (probiotic), FOS (prebiotic), papaya, and yucca support intestinal health
- High quality nutrient dense proteins for energy and complex carbohydrates for endurance
- Nutritionally optimized to support the development of muscles, organs, bones and teeth. Formulated to help maintain heart, kidney and liver health
Fill your best friend’s bowl with wholesome nutrition when you feed them Zignature Turkey Limited Ingredient Formula Grain-Free Canned Dog Food. Your pup will enjoy a delicious dinner made with real, farm-raised Turkey from the American Midwest, wholesome peas, chickpeas, and carrots. This meat-first recipe offers pups the protein they need to thrive, while Zignature’s limited ingredient recipe throws out troublesome ingredients like chicken, corn, wheat, soy, and potatoes, creating peak hypoallergenic, low-glycemic nutrition. Combine that with key antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and a complete spectrum of vitamins and minerals for a well-rounded meal that goes beyond nature to become your pet’s signature food for life.Key Benefits
- This grain-free, limited ingredient formula is made with one protein source and only a handful of other ingredients, creating a clean recipe with ingredients you can count on.
- Made with farm-raised Turkey from the American Midwest.
- As a natural source of prey in the wild, Turkey is an exceptional source of protein that’s also low in saturated fat, rich in Selenium, and a good source of Riboflavin and Phosphorus.
- Free of the most common potential canine allergens: corn, wheat, soy, dairy, and chicken, making this recipe ideal for pups with sensitivities and picky eaters.
- Wholesome fruits and vegetables round out the recipe with powerful antioxidants, and fiber-rich, low-glycemic carbohydrates.
At Wellness, every ingredient chosen has a purpose, especially when it comes to dogs with food sensitivities. These natural, limited-ingredient diet dog food recipes keep it simple with a single source of protein and easily digestible carbohydrates, without extra fillers or additives. This short, yet complete, list of key ingredients nourishes simply and completely from the inside out with results you can see. Just like all Wellness dog food recipes, what stays out is as important as what goes in, so they don’t use wheat, corn, soy, gluten or artificial preservatives, colors or flavors in this simple formula. As animal lovers, nutritionists and vets, the Wellness mission is to provide your pet a healthy, happy, long life through the power of natural nutrition.Key Benefits
- Natural, limited ingredient diet for dogs with food sensitivities or food allergies
- High-quality turkey as the first ingredient
- Does not contain grains, gluten or wheat
- Easily-digestible formula with probiotics and prebiotics
- Nourishes healthy skin with flaxseed
Brothers Complete Lamb Meal & Egg Formula Advanced Allergy Care Dry Dog Food provides complete nutrition that mimics a dog’s natural diet. Small-batch recipes feature high-quality proteins like free range lamb, dried whole eggs that are easily absorbed and no grains or white potatoes. Every ingredient is carefully selected according to advanced nutritional concepts to focus on healing, balancing and maintaining a healthy gut. This food is great for every life stage and helps pets avoid skin conditions and allergy-related tummy trouble.Key Benefits
- Natural recipe made with free-range lamb and low-glycemic carbs from the roots of the cassava plant.
- Eggs have all 23 amino acids, including the 9 “essential” amino acids that cannot be produced by the body.
- Digestive enzymes break down food, increase nutrient absorption, boost immunity and reduce the risk of allergies.
- Encapsulated probiotics deliver live, good bacteria to the gut where they are fed by the highly selective prebiotics.
- Naturally preserved for maximum freshness without BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin in high-quality, flavor-preserving bags.
Spawn a new love for mealtime with the tasty, clean flavor of CANIDAE PURE Real Salmon, Limited Ingredient, Grain Free Premium Dry Dog Food. Formulated with just eight wholesome ingredients to nourish all canines—including those with sensitivities—this recipe boasts salmon as its first ingredient for a protein-packed meal your pup will love. Wholesome veggies provide him with a powerhouse of nutrition, while a blend of probiotics, antioxidants, fatty acids and vitamins and minerals support his vital systems and promote ongoing good health. With never any fillers or problem additives including corn, wheat, soy, grain or artificial ingredients, this fin-tastic salmon formula has everything your best buddy needs to thrive!Key Benefits
- Made with 8 real food ingredients for complete and balanced nutrition.
- Grain-free and free of soy, wheat, corn and other fillers for dogs with sensitive stomachs.
- Contains no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives.
- Fortified after cooking with Canidae’s HealthPLUS blend of probiotics, antioxidants and omega-3 and 6 fatty acids.
- Made from a simple, whole food recipe at Canidae’s Texas facility.
When it comes to sensitive pups, sometimes less is more―like the limited ingredient nutrition of the Tuscan Natural Simply Pure Chicken Meal Dry Dog Food. The hypoallergenic formula is made with humanely-raised chicken meal as the first ingredient, for a single protein source that helps lower the chances of allergies and sensitivities for your pooch. With extra virgin olive oil from old growth trees for overall wellbeing and a healthy skin and coat, sustainably-farmed rice plus vitamins and minerals, it’s a complete diet for dogs of all ages. Plus, it’s made with love right here in the USA.Key Benefits
- Hypoallergenic, easy-to-digest formula is great for pooches prone to allergies or food sensitivities.
- With humanely-raised chicken meal as the first ingredient for a high-protein, complete diet for all life stages.
- Kibble is formulated with extra virgin olive oil sourced from old growth trees for a variety of health benefits.
- Olive oil provides essential monounsaturated fatty acids that support a healthy, shiny skin and coat.
- Proudly made in the USA and developed by PhD nutritionists using the latest research in doggy nutrition.
Earthborn Holistic has limited the ingredients in their recipes without compromising palatability or nutrition! Earthborn Holistic’s Venture Smoked Turkey & Butternut Squash Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is crafted with fresh turkey that comes from trusted family-owned farms in Midwestern USA. They raise their turkeys in comfortable and safe living environments and raise them through humane animal care and feed them nutritious diets. But the goodness doesn’t stop there, because this recipe also features real butternut squash pumpkin and flaxseed to support healthy digestion!Key Benefits
- Limited ingredient diet made without grain or gluten and packed with taurine and methionine to support heart health.
- 100% free from peas, lentils, legumes, white potato, egg, chicken, colors, fillers, by-products, GMO ingredients and artificial preservatives.
- Contains turkey sourced from America’s Midwest. Turkey is a lean protein that’s a great source of iron, zinc, phosphorus, potassium and B vitamins.
- The bag is made with 40% plant-based plastics and is completely resealable to help preserve freshness.
- Crafted in Earthborn Holistic’s family-owned USA kitchens.
Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets HA canine formula provides complete and balanced nutrition for the growth of puppies and maintenance of adult dogs and has been formulated to achieve great nutrition available for your furry friend.Key Benefits
- Food sensitivities generally appear in pets as gastrointestinal upset and/or intense scratching or itching. It can develop at any life stage, even after eating the same food for years without problems. Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets HA has been specifically formulated to help manage food sensitivities with a single protein source.
- The single, hydrolyzed protein source is highly digestible for optimum nutrient absorption. Hydrolyzing means that the protein has been broken down into smaller components, specifically an average molecular weight below 12,200 daltons. Because of this, it’s less likely to cause a negative response in your food-sensitive pup.
- A single, low allergen carbohydrate source is included to minimize the risk of food related reactions. It’s a source of Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs) which don’t require energy for absorption, use, or storage.
- Suited for dogs that have food allergic gastroenteritis or dermatitis, food intolerance, inflammatory bowel disease, or pancreatitis.
- Made in the USA!
Having a pup with food sensitivities can feel hopeless, but Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Hydrolyzed Protein Adult HP Dry Dog Food is a light at the end of the tunnel. This vet-exclusive formula helps dogs with itching, hair loss, and digestive upset by using smaller proteins to avoid the immune response that causes these issues. It’s made with essential nutrients that support skin health and reinforce the skin barrier and an exclusive fiber blend with prebiotics for healthy digestion. If you and your vet suspect a food allergy or intolerance, try this special formula that’s designed just for sensitive fur-babies.Key Benefits
- This veterinary-exclusive dry formula was designed especially for canines with food sensitivities.
- Can reduce skin and GI reactions caused by common proteins in dog food.
- Uses a special process to make proteins smaller so they don’t trigger an immune response.
- Essential nutrients support healthy skin and help reduce inflammation.
- Supports GI health with a special blend of fibers and prebiotics.
Merrick Limited Ingredient Diet dog food recipes are specially formulated with a limited number of carefully selected ingredients to provide complete and balanced nutrition for dogs with food sensitivities and sensitive stomachs. Merrick’s limited ingredient recipes keep it simple with a single source of animal protein, a first ingredient of real deboned meat, fish, or poultry, and easily digestible carbohydrates, without grains, corn or gluten ingredients. Key Benefits
- Starts with real deboned turkey as the first ingredient for a single source of animal protein.
- Simple ingredient panel for dogs with food sensitivities provides important amino acids, vitamins & minerals.
- Grain-free recipe with no gluten ingredients, and no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
- Specifically formulated to support healthy digestion to ensure maximum nutritional benefit.
- Proudly made in Merrick’s Texas facility using the world’s best locally-sourced ingredients from farmers they know and trust.